LIPIL is an occasional gathering in London of anyone interested in languages, linguistics and related issues. We meet roughly once a month in a pub in Bloomsbury (most recently the Marlborough Arms) and discuss a theme that is of interest to the group. It builds on the LIP concept which originally began in Melbourne, Australia, and has spread to other places in that country, and now to the UK.
LIPIL is coordinated by Lauren Gawne and Peter K. Austin (SOAS, University of London) and is open to everyone who is interested. The next LIPIL meeting will be in 6-8pm on Tuesday 17th January 2017. Current information about meetings can be found on our Facebook page.
2016 LIPIL Topics
- December 2016 – Linguistic highlights of 2016 and looking forward to 2017
- November 2016 – Popular representations of linguistics
- October 2016 – What is a linguist?
- May 2016 – Working with layfolk
- January 2016 – Open access and the future of academic publishing – Recap here
2015 LIPIL Topics